Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

am trying to keep up, so this post will have many things. Some pictures I want to use are on another camera. These ones are on my phone, so here it goes anyway. 

While down in Garmisch we made a quick trip to the Dauchau Concentration Camp. I hope to go back without my kids as they are to young to appreciate the education you can get from visiting this museum. It is very sobering. Our guide was pointing out some really neat things to think about. I often wonder what I would have done if I lived in Germany during this time period. It is easy to say you would have not joined the Nazi  Movement, but living then and being alive through this is still something none of us can ever comprehend. Our guide's grandfather joined the Nazi's. She recently found that out, and wanted to talk to her mother about this, but her mother is 90 and she loves her family and doesn't want to stir up bad feelings. Life was so hard back then. She wasn't excusing anyone, she was just wanting people to reserve some of their judgement. I appreciated what I was learning from her. If only our kids were enjoying it. The older ones were good, but Megan had had it.
This was Megan throwing a tantrum on the floor of the museum.  This was also a building the camp used back then. 

Map of the Concentration Camp. It was made to hold about 6,000.  It ended up with over 30,000 as other camps were closed and they were moved here. 


I find this information on self-assertion fascinating. It is remarkable what humans can do with a desire to survive. 

On a lighter note, we enjoyed the luges. This is similar to an Alpine Slide in Park City Utah. We all loved it.  
                  Megan and Dad
                   Tyler and Sarah

Sarah received all "A's" for her first quarter. There was an award assembly for the kids. Kate had all "A's" and one "B".  The "B" was one point from an "A". I am proud of how hard the girls work in school. There was no assembly for Kate  unfortunately. 

In Germany they celebrate St. Martin's Day. St. Martin was a man that helped the poor. Each village holds a church service and then there is a lantern walk around the village. Songs are played and someone dresses as St. Martin and is on a horse leading.  At the end there is a bonfire and bread pretzels are eaten by all. We weren't really ready for this celebration, but we will be next year. Tyler made a paper lantern at school and we stuck a flashlight in it. The Germans had much fancier homemade lantern.
 
        Tyler celebrating St. martin's Day.
The horse and St. Martin in a red cloak.
      A band playing around the village.

This next picture cracks me up. Steve is cold easily and German houses don't stay too warm. I was trying to keep the heat bill down and Steve thought he was freezing. Haha!
Nothing like wearing a hat in your own house to stay warm. It really wasn't that cold. 

We carved a few pumpkins to celebrate Halloween. Everyone had a good time.
      Megan is not afraid to get messy. 
                      Silly family!
Kate and Megan were witches for            Halloween.  We had a trunk or treat with our church. We did trick or treating in our neighborhood too. 

      I just love this picture and this boy!

1 comment:

amy and josh said...

I am so glad they had fun celebrating Halloween in Germany! Way to go Sarah and Kate for working so hard for the grades you have earned! I love the updates!