Sunday, June 20, 2010

GRADUATION -FINALLY!

Waiting and watching for Daddy!


Steve lining up for the ceremony.
Kate wasn't happy about having a picture.
Wait till you see her in the next picture.
She only gets better. Love kids!


Steve getting his certificate and shaking hands.


The four residents and some staff.

Residents and the wives.


The guys!

The family-Kate was crying because she didn't want a picture!
She can make me crazy!


It was about 7 years ago that Steve decided to specialize in Oral Surgery. Or maybe I decided for him, but he was on board with the idea! Steve was happy with dentistry, but I knew he had more to give and could accomplish something bigger. So while at USC, Steve did an externship in Oral Surgery and thought it was okay. At first he could hardly stomach it. But over time, he did alright and knew this field was for him. For me it was supporting him in reaching his highest potential. He is smart and can do anything if he puts his mind to it. AND HE DID! Four years ago the residency began. Steve was scared. He didn't know if he could do it. He considered backing out of it right before it started. After praying about it and listening to the spirit, he decided to go forward. It has been a long road with long hours. NOW WE ARE FINISHED! I am sure there will be some long days ahead, but the madness of residency is over. I am so proud of Steve. I am also grateful to the Lord for blessing us during this time and for blessing Steve. I felt such pride in hearing other residents talk about Steve. One resident said that he had the hardest day and was considering dropping out of the program. This resident told Steve he, "Totally screwed everything up and couldn't do it." They were walking to the parking garage and Steve said to him, "What do you mean, you are TOTALLY doing fine!" This resident talked about how much that meant to him even though it was a big lie. Without Steve's kindness and encouragement, he would have quit. Others admired how well Steve balanced family and work so well. They knew how important family was to Steve despite all that was going on at work. The staff gave Steve a hard time for complaining that instruments were to small for his big hands, and for a gag gift they gave him giant/clown sized scissors, a syringe, and hammer. It was pretty funny.

So we are done with school and that feels so strange. I asked Steve what was next, a fellowship? He quickly replied, "No, I am done!" I guess I can live with that! I can't wait for what the future brings.

We had a fun party/dinner the night before the graduation ceremony. Steve said a few words about how great the last 4 years have been, and was so sweet to thank me for supporting him and helping him achieve his best. The night before he brought home beautiful flowers to thank me too. I felt on top of the world with such a great husband!

At the ceremony there was an incredible speaker. The graduation was for all specialties. The speaker talked to the doctors about how important their role is in saving the bravely injured soldiers, and getting them back to where they need to be. He so eloquently said that the doctors save the soldiers lives, but in turn the soldiers are saving our lives. He encouraged the doctors to always be ready as the soldiers put their lives in the doctors hands, and are depending on them to be at their best-never stop learning and working hard. The ceremony was a time where you felt great pride in being part of the military, and what we are doing for America in our own little way. The next 4 years here will be great!

12 comments:

Whit K said...

Congratulations what a big accomplishment!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! Graduation day is always a sigh of relief. It is fun to see Steve in the uniform. Best Wishes!

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Congratulations to Steve! And to you too! That is great!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations!! Steve looks so handsome. Erica, thanks for being such a wonderful wife to Steve and seeing all of his goodness. I have always felt such gratitude being his sister. He is so wonderful. We are so grateful for you. We love you all so much!!!!! And we miss you.

Mike and Gloria said...

We are so proud of you all! Steve, this is an incredible accomplishment, but you couldn't have done it without the backing of your wonderful wife and children. We are so happy for you. You have much to do in this life -- We love the pictures! Wish we could have been there!
Love, Mom & Dad

Nicole said...

Congratulations! A huge accomplishment for all of you! :)

finau said...

WOW. I am so proud of you guys! What a huge accomplishment for the both of you! What a nice tribute you wrote to him!! I love it. Anything that takes that much hard work and sacrifice are the most meaningful. Good job!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Congratulations to you guys!!!! You are a great team together! I loved the pictures- you looked beautiful!

Dana said...

That is such a huge accomplishment for Steve and for all of you! Steve looks so awesome in his uniform. Your kids look great too even though Kate was crying :) We miss you guys and Love you

Katie said...

Congrats! Not only to Steve but to the whole family for all the sacrifices it takes to get the dad/husband through all of their hard work.

The Brunson Family said...

Congratulations. It is so nice to be done with school. Hope the next couple of years is easy on you guys.

Laura said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! What a huge accomplishment.