So as most of you have heard, we took care of John (Steve's brother) and Laura's kids while they went to Germany. It was a lot of fun. On day two, Steve decided he wanted to have a large family, and asked me how many kids I wanted. I disappointed him by saying, "not eight". I said maybe (key word being maybe) one more. Steve said he thought it was really fun having so many kids in one house. I agreed, but said again that I didn't want eight kids. It's funny how quickly Steve changed his mind too. On day eight of having eight kids in one house, Steve changed his mind and wanted a vacation instead!
With having so many busy minds all together, I knew I needed to plan a few outings. We went swimming three times, to a park for a picnic and a ride on a little train and carousel, to a baseball game (Steve took the older five), to watch airplanes, raspberry and blackberry picking, sightseeing in DC, and to the National Zoo. We have a Honda pilot that seats eight, so with Steve off to work and with little bums I was able to get everyone into one car. Some people thought I was crazy, and others counted as I walked past them (1,2,3,....8!) People in the city especially thought we were crazy. Ladies from church offered help with babysitting during the week, but I calmly said we are fine, I have everything under control. And for the most part it was. The only time I really got upset was at dinner time on day three when Steve under cooked the hamburgers (I only like them well done), and I insisted that everyone return thir hamburger to the BBQ and get a new bun. That made things a little crazy. So I vowed to myself then to not let things get to me and to not get upset. I think that helped a lot. Sarah and Kate were in complete bliss with friends to play with around the clock. Kate and Eve played together so well. Sarah thought she was ten and should only be playing with the older girls. I am sure that was a little annoying for them at times. It was such a fun experience for us though, one we will always treasure.
Check out Thomas doing a cool trick
Faith going off the diving board
Are we having fun yet? Thomas was ready to go home...can you tell?
8 comments:
Oh Erica, thank you thank you. My kids are STILL talking about how much fun they had. You'd think they were there a year with how many fun things you planned for them- creating so many memories to talk about. I knew this would be a burden to put on someone, but honestly you were one of the only people in the world that I KNEW could handle it. We love and appreciate the heck out of you!
ps- the pictures of Thomas with his back to you and the other with his face in his hands is hilarious.
ps, we went to Michael's the other day to buy those beads that you had them do. Those are the best...did you ever think they would be such a hit? Had you used them before? My kids LOVE them.
Laura, I still laugh every time I look at the pictures of Thomas not having fun! Kids will be kids. And it was not a burden. We would do it again. I am not sure your kids would want to, but we love them! And the beads from Michaels have been a family favorite for years. Sarah and Kate have been doing them to kill time and beat boredom. Especially when we lived in the town home.
Cute pictures! I can hardly wait to get to DC. We leave for DC next Tuesday and will see you Thursday night :) So what are the must see places in DC? Besides the white house and monuments, etc.
You are amazing. I sure love the pictures (especially Thomas off the diving board, and the one of him burying his head in his hands, and his back to you.) I'm sure he was "girl'd" out! I know Beau would have been.
Oh, what are these beads. I have got to find a way to kill the boredom!!!!
We wish we were the ones coming to visit! Looks like your kids are so grown up! Have fun with the Daley's here soon! Love ya tons!
Erica, you are a super mom! I could never do 8 kids...i can barely do 2! :) Looks like you had a lot of fun. Maybe we need to come and have you "tend" us sometime. Love ya!
What is new with your family? we miss you!
Post a Comment